Thursday, January 23, 2014

Meditation Wisdom



From my very first vinyasa class, I felt like I'd come home, and I'm so grateful every day that I've found a practice that lights me up and chills me out; a practice that quite literally saved and changed my life.  I had tried a few different types of yoga prior to this, but they never really stuck. I'm sure you know what I mean :)

So during one of my first teacher trainings, when my teacher shared with me that "Your yoga practice will change and evolve over time", well, honestly, I doubted it! I thought I'd found my yoga. But wise woman that she was, years and years into my practice, many health issues, job changes, life adjustments later and birthdays ticked off, she was right. 

It makes sense too, of course, as I'm simply not the same person I was when I first stepped onto my yoga mat 20 odd years ago. 

While I still adore my vinyasa practice, I'm finding more and more transformation and a comfortability with yin yoga, and meditation. My physical body served me for many years as a vehicle (the main vehicle!) to stillness, but now that I'm more at home and loving towards my spirit and mind, a gentler practice is calling to me more and more.

I teach a weekly Yin class and lately have been sharing a lot of wisdom from my favourite teachers, that have clearly hit a chord with the yogis joining in (if the blissed out space and loving feedback from them is anything to go by).

So who do I turn to get my fill of wisdom for spirit and mind, within a modern day context?

My two leading go-to's have consistently been:
Susan Piver is an author and meditation teacher from the Shambhala Buddhist lineage, and shares meditations and wisdom through her Open Heart Project (brilliant name, isn't it?).  She teachers people how to "live with purpose, find balance, and overcome the fears that prevent genuine communication." 

Pema Chodron was first introduced to me via an early yoga teacher of mind, who passed me the book "When Things Fall Apart", during a particularly tricky time in my life. That book became a saviour of mine and is well thumbed, offering beautiful foresight into common struggles. Pema is a well-loved Tibetan Buddhist with a number of books out, who  never fails to offer me the advice I need no matter what I'm facing in life. And every time I share her wisdom in class, I always have students asking after the source so clearly it connects!


“We think that the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don't really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It's just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.” 
- Pema Chodron, When Things Fall Apart 


1 comment:

Emily said...

Ah Pema, my number one!! Haven't heard of Susan though, thanks for the suggestion sweetie :-)

I also love the work of Jack Kornfield and Thich Nhat Hanh :-)

xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...