Monday, December 30, 2013

Mean Green Juice for Zing

It's finally feeling like summer in Sydney, so I've been experimenting with my beloved juicer. One big thing I've noticed recently is how I've started using food... emotionally, I suppose is the best term!

I've been having a lot of sugar-filled treats mid-afternoon when I'm stressed, and also at other times! The cravings aren't doing anything except scratching an immediate itch, but when I started juicing some nutrient-packed fresh juices, and devouring a couple a day, wow! It's great to see that when I nourish my body with what it really wants, the sugar cravings are much less.

Yet another case for nourishment, real nourishment, on all levels.

My fave recipe of the moment, that's packing a punch in terms of total goodness for my mind, my energy and my cells, is the Mean Green Juice. The basic recipe is from Joe Cross - and I just add/minus pieces as to how I'm feeling each day:

Ingredients
  •  1 cucumber
  • 4 celery stalks
  • 2 apples
  • 6-8 leaves kale (Australian tuscan cabbage)
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tbsp ginger
Directions
  1. Wash all produce well
  2. Peel the lemon, optional
  3. Juice
  4. Pour over ice & enjoy!
If you want to go wild and experiment with others, this infographic from the lovely Kris Carr is a good go-to guide!

I remember learning that when your body craves rubbish and sugar, you're in a toxic state, and when you stop craving that junk, your body is alkaline and healthy. The transition can be tricky because people don't want to feel deprived, which is why I've loved simply adding in nutrient-dense juices (veggie loaded, not fruit heavy) to my diet. It's as close to magic as the amazing human body gets - add in the good, crowd out the bad, and you naturally stop craving the rubbish. Brilliant :)

Please note, I'm not advocating juice as a replacement of good whole fresh foods or a meal replacement, but as an addition.

Love to hear your fave recipes :)

2 comments:

valerie berger said...

i do love summer in sydney

shinyyoga said...

@Valerie - ain't it wonderful? xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...