Saturday, June 18, 2011

Interview with a Yogi :: Kimberly Wilson

When I first started teaching yoga in 2005, I took a lot of my inspiration from Hip Tranquil Chick (now Tranquility du Jour) - a podcast series and site run by the gorgeous Kimberly Wilson.  I loved that Kimberly could make anything relate to yoga - a book, a quote, a cup of tea! It was absolutely what I believe as well, so my early students have a lot to thank Kimberly's inspiration for :)

My how things come full circle - because today I'm over the shiny moon excited to share with you some wisdom from this tranquil entrepreneur herself! Kimberly is our 3rd interviewee in the series, and I hope you enjoy her words just as much as I'm loving having her featured here!

*  *  *  *  *  *

Kimberly Wilson is a teacher, writer, do-gooder, entrepreneur, and eco-fashion designer currently obsessed with paris, potbelly pigs, and all things sparkly. She is the creative director and founder of tranquil space – named among the top 25 yoga studios in the world by Travel + Leisure, author of Hip Tranquil Chick and Tranquilista, and holds a Master’s in Women's Studies.

When not bookstore browsing, you'll find her sipping heaps of tea, crafting new designs for TranquiliT, or leading retreats globally. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart Living Radio, in Daily Candy, Fit Yoga, US News and various books. With a passion for do-gooding, Kimberly co-launched Tranquil Space Foundation to bring yoga, creativity, and leadership to women and girls and is currently pursuing a Master's in Social Work. 

She lives in a cozy raspberry-colored flat in Washington, D.C. with two fancy felines named after French impressionists, a supportive beau, and a sassy black pug. Indulge in musings on tranquilology through her blog and podcast, tranquility du jour. Connect via kimberlywilson.com.




DESCRIBE YR YOGA PRACTICE, REMEMBERING THAT YOGA IS UNION, & NOT JUST ASANA.  HOW DO YOU LIVE YOGA ON & OFF THE MAT?   My practice of yoga and life revolves around my favorite mantra Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu which translates to "may all beings everywhere be happy and free. May the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all." Ideally my daily actions are making a positive difference in the lives of others.

IS MEDITATION PART OF YOUR PRACTICE?  Yes, meditation is a growing part of my practice and I strive to incorporate it more and more into my daily practices - from mindful eating to seated meditation to mindful presence in my interactions with others.

WHAT TIPS WOULD YOU GIVE A NEW YOGI OR MEDITATION PRACTITIONER?  Take your practice one day at a time. Savor the journey. Find a teacher and style that resonates. Read all you can. Practice, practice, practice.

WANT TO SHARE WITH US A FAVE BOOK, SITE, STUDIO, ANYTHING? My favorite book is The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. It changed my life and allowed me to see myself as an artist. Now I try to create something new each and every day. My favorite yoga pose is baddha konasana. My favorite studio is my own, of course: Tranquil Space! J'adore vinyasa yoga and yin yoga but appreciate every style out there!

HOW CAN PEOPLE BRING YOGA INTO THEIR EVERYDAY?Embody Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu!

WHAT IS ONE THING YOU ARE GRATEFUL FOR TODAY? Having a holiday weekend off to replenish my creative spirit!

HOW DO YOU SLOW DOWN & SMELL THE ROSES? I schedule it in and I do my best to take mindfulness breaks throughout the day. Oh, and I have an aromatherapy machine in my office full of rose oil! 

ANY IDEAS ON STRESSING LESS & ENJOYING MORE? Do what you love. Give back. Lessen your carbon footprint. Express yourself creatively. Nap. Sip tea. Eat veggies. Live your yoga. Innovate constantly. 

HOW DO YOU LIVE A WHOLEHEARTED LIFE? All of the above - especially #9! 

Many thanks dear Kimberly! xo 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...