Saturday, June 11, 2011

Diary of a (soon to be) Reformed Sugar Addict

All throughout my 20's I had a pretty great diet - I ate in moderation, easy on the sugar, light on the chocolate (although both were definitely included), lots of fresh fruit & veg, lots of seafood & lentils. Don't get me wrong, there was also lots of alcohol & lots of eating out, but on the whole, it was a pretty balanced nutritional picture. Regular visits to my regular naturopath saw me often go on mini-detoxes and I started each morning with lemon and hot water. Good on the supplements and herbs.. life was rocking.

Enter the dirty 30's and they've lived up to their name. More sugar. More responsibility. More hours. Stressful job. You know, adult stuff. The last office job I had before dedicating my life back to yoga full time saw my adrenals burn out, my stress levels sky rocket, and sugar became the only thing that got me through the day. I wrote a tweet during this period: Red jelly frogs and coke = diet of the stressed. Of course it wasn't an overnight thing - I loved my job for a long time, and it was a slow journey to burn out. I'm an awesome multi-tasker - I'm just not so great at listening to the signs my body gave ME (I didn't have time, haha). All of this, I've shared before.

But then this brings us up to today.

The adrenals are getting back to normal. This means I'm putting weight back on. I'm not a gal who's ever deprived myself of the joys in life, and food is definitely one of them. And while the 10 kilos I lost due to burnout wasn't healthy, it was not all bad to be able to eat anything and not put weight on. However, it's healthy to put on weight when you eat a not-so-hot diet, and that's where I am back to.

I get it now (and realise how lucky I was in my teens & 20's to never have experienced any issues with food). I get how even though you know that you can't have jelly lollies and coke every day, when the physiological body is addicted to the sugar rush and high, it's damn hard to stop. I get how unhealthy it is to have coffee for breakfast, and I believe the Skinny Bitches say "Coffee is for pussies. You should not need anything to wake up. If you can't wake up without it, it's because you are either addicted to caffeine, sleep deprived, or a generally unhealthy slob." (You can read more about their thoughts on coffee here)

But more than anything, it's starting to worry me how diet is affected to everything - from energy levels, sleeping patterns, skin & eyes, to depression.

Duh.

I know! I know! But really, it's all coming to a head for me right now. I got a body x-ray done and while I was shocked by some of the things I saw structurally (thank god I do yoga!), I was more shocked to see these little black shadows come up via the x-ray -> gas!! Eeep! I had a LOT of gas in my x-rays! (So unladylike).  That very same day I had a shiatsu treatment and the practitioner talked about my digestion, just by touching my tummy and feeling where it was moving, blocked etc.

Furthermore, who wouldn't want to be free from drugs and let the body heal naturally? I want to come off my anti-depressants and let the body be it's own doctor. To do that, I need a balanced healthy body - which is something I can definitely take control over.

So here we go. Follow the journey of an inner-city living, sugar-loving, too busy yogini as she transforms her diet and her life.

Wow, sounds pretty cool :) But seriously, the time is now.

I'll take my tips from Hippocrates (the father of Medicine, 2500 years ago!) who said,
"Let food by they medicine, and medicine be thy food"
Plum image & amazing foody goodness at Nourish Me
and Michael Pollan (renowned food expert and journalist, 2007) who is often quoted for,
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"
Greenery and Inspiration from Kelle Hampton
Tips, stories, support - all welcome. Let's share cool posts, inspiring blogs, & laughs along the way. I'd love to hear how you keep healthy, happy and shiny - from the inside out.

xo

3 comments:

rachel said...

I have to admit to not being a fan of Skinny Bitch. It's all a bit dogmatic for my liking + actually a cup of coffee in the morning does have some health benefits. The problem, as with so many things is, drinking more than that one cup!

However I am a fan of ol' Hippocrates - that guy knew what he was talking about!

Good luck! i know you'll be tip top at this. Your life is so much different now that these changes will happen xxx

bakingnbooks said...

Wow...I am so glad I found your blog. I need to explore more. I am reading so much of myself in this.

So many questions to ask - where to begin?! Are you still with that job that burned you out? How did you know you had adrenal fatigue? An ND told me a couple of years I did...but I am no different now than what I was...

How could you eat what you want and lose weight?? I tend to stress eat - and although I eat really healthy...and really I think I eat TOO many veggies (big time) - my digestion is horrible. I also binge...and chocolate, yogurts, cheese, granola, cookies...my vice...

Ugh - I'm so lost. I did do a Hatha Yoga training program a year ago...but then I "lost" myself again (life, hated job that I'm still in and no job because I have bills and enormous debt to pay), family issues - you name it.

The worst is that I hate myself and feel like it's always too late...I've done so much damage to my body...I feel gross and disgusted eating late every night and going to bed sick. Never ending.

Sorry - I've said to much! Just so much resonated here.

Your blog is BEAUTIFUL by the way! Such a zen, beautiful setting.

Sarah Fox said...

Found this poem online..feel it's appropriate for leaving bad habits behind..
Wise words by John Boyle O’Reilly:

“How shall I a habit break?
As you did that habit make.
As you gathered, you must lose;
As you yielded, now refuse.
Thread by thread, the strands we twist,
Till they bind us neck and wrist.
Thread by thread, the patient hand,
Must untwine ere free we stand.”

PS: Love the blog Stella! I used to go to your Newtown class but moved home to Ireland last year and it's nice to still be connected with an inspiring teacher like you from far away! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...