Sunday, May 02, 2010

Compassion... in spite of

Yo Geek on Twitter linked to a wonderful story - if you have a moment, please go and have a read. I am struggling quite a lot in one area of my life lately, where I'm surrounded by people whose ethics do not align with my own. This article below goes a big way in helping me move forward in understanding. I hope it helps you out too : )

I heard this story about Mother Theresa. She was being interviewed by someone when these two very rich people came in and started demanding a photo with her, tilting her head and acting brusquely. She complied, unaffected, then continued with the interview. The interviewer was furious. Mother Theresa said that these people needed compassion just as the sickly babies did.

What is compassion if we aren't willing to bring it out of ourselves in the hardest moments? It's easy to feel compassion for the cute harp seals when they are being clubbed. What does it take for us to open ourselves more deeply? The Dalai Lama feels compassion for the Chinese who have decimated his land and people. Read the full story here...

Namaste. x

3 comments:

La Gitane said...

This is so true! Compassion and lovingkindness can't be selective - we have to show equal compassion for everyone. Thanks for the important reminder. :)

Emma said...

i just had the longest, v intense conversation about this v topic with my partner. he has a hard time feeling compassion for privliged people. i was on mother theresa's side of feeling compassion for all. then, of course, he brought out the hitler argument. how do you go with the hitler argument?

babs said...

Oh, how I forget that we all need a little compassion. Great reminder and great post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...