Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ch-Ch-Ch-Change

“Every one of us is called upon, probably many times, to start a new life. A frightening diagnosis, a marriage, a move, loss of a job… And onward full tilt we go, pitched and wrecked and absurdly resolute, driven in spite of everything to make good on a new shore. To be hopeful, to embrace one possibility after another- that is surely the basic instinct… Crying out: High tide! Time to move out into the glorious debris. Time to take this life for what it is.” ~Barbara Kingsolver CHANGE. Pink Heels explored this quote recently and it could not have come at a better time. I am so excited by the new horizons that are out there for each and everyone of us, but truth be told, I'm also scared of them. The familiar - no matter how good, bad, sad or crazy it may be for us - is comfortable. Knowing what to expect, whether it's positive or negative, is safe.
But change is how we grow, how we live life to the full, and in full colour.
Sometimes it's hard to be a yoga teacher - I can get on the mat, guide my students in what to do and how to live... but then I step off the mat and more often than not lately, I haven't been practicing what I preach so easily. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely believe that meditation will help stressful periods. I am a firm believer in the idea that a consistent yoga practice has the power to change your life. But lately, for me, life has gotten in the way. So today I will work with a beginners mind, and I WILL take the advice I gave my students in class today: "YOU have the power to change the world, starting now." And also this gem, "Start where you are." Starting today I will meditate, I will visualise and practice inner smile. I will be mindful, present and move my body to move the energy inside. I will be gracious and grateful. I will be of service. I will start today. "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." ~ Barack Obama
Tell me - how do YOU instigate change in your own lives? Namaste x

3 comments:

Emma said...

im working on moving. it's a big move and it's been hard even picking where to move to, much less the transitional process, which will be hard too. it's a good quote, especially to read when im feeling in a negative, rainy day mood about it all. thank you!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post Stella! I miss your thought provoking classes!

La Gitane said...

Thanks for this lovely and inspirational post. I have also really been struggling to establish a meditation practice - thanks for the reminder that there's no time like the present!

~Namaste

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...