Sunday, January 17, 2010

Taking a Breath

From personal experience, I think it's easy to plan things and be calm, well rested, well fed and serene when things are going well. But when things are busy and there are many many things to be done in a wee little amount of time, well, that's when all your good intentions can fly out the window! Right now, I should be packing for a work trip to Perth. Instead, I'm reading yoga blogs, and trying to BREATHE. I have a lot of work to do tonight on email, I need to cook dinner (and figure out what I want to eat before then), hang out some clothes, wash some dishes, clean the house, make some phone calls.. and that's not the half of it. So what to do to calm down the mind, slow down the breath, and be calm, well rested, well fed and serene? Just that.. seriously, just that. - Take 5, go for a walk. MOVE THE FRENETIC ENERGY that is growing in your body! Get that energy moving and on out! - STOP what you are doing, take a deep breath, Inhale! Then Exhale! It's that old idea of stopping for a proper lunch break during the day - then being more productive in the afternoon. If you take 5 minutes to stop now, move energy and refresh, you will be able to be more productive & less enmeshed in stress. My 'word of the year' is ACCEPTANCE, so I'm trying to keep it all simple. Accept that I'm madly busy at the moment and work with that. Accept that I have long hours, early mornings and late starts. Accept that this too, shall pass. Accept that I need to call my friends for chats, advice, laughter and a friendly voice. Accept that if 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the night are the only minutes I'll have to myself in a day, that's what I have - and those minutes will be nurturing, and loving, and settling. What are your tips and tricks to help deal with busy times and stress? Did you come up with a word of the year and if you did, how can it be applicable now? Love to hear your wise words x stella

6 comments:

misheru said...

Hey Stella! My method is the same as yours..just breathe and accept that things are as they are. I can choose to be all stressed about it, or I can choose to accept it and deal with things one thing at a time. I have to remind myself to choose the latter all the time! Now I'm dealing with intense work at the office, shipping my stuff, selling the remainder and saying my farewells, so I try to go to BML as often as I can to have 'me' time. Hang in there, and I really hope to see you before I go!
xx michelle

La Gitane said...

Oh so true!! We have all kinds of good intentions, but then suddenly we get busy and slip right back into the madness.

I know it seems obvious, but for me the most important thing is - Yoga! Even if I only have 10 or 15 minutes in the morning, I NEED to get on my mat to get my day right. Otherwise I find myself unfocused and struggle through the day. Things like going for a walk or spending a few minutes tending my garden also help!

Namaste,
Bree

Kristin said...

To just "Be Present". To deal with the work that is in front of me and not fret or worry about what is next in line.

And to understand that this (what ever 'this' is at the moment) is only temporary and shall, in time, pass.

Claudia said...

Hi Stella, like your post, my word recently has been "receive", I find that it is a lot harder than give, and nevertheless it is the other side of the same coin. Wonderful doors opened when I incorporated it into my consciousness... including receiving time and space for "me time", and rest and renewal.

Nadine Fawell said...

Hmm, I chose hope and courage, but I love acceptance. It's something I could do with more of, too!
This shall pass. Keep breathing, shiny one.

It's A Yoga Thang said...

I have recently accepted that sometimes things are not going to get done as I would like and you know what I have found? No one dies and things do get done as they should. One task at a time. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...