Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Give It Up, or Take It ON!

(image from Jen @ Superhero Journals)
Last night in class I asked students to all spot the negative mantras they repeat all to often to themselves. You know the ones, "I'm not good enough" or "I'm unlovable" or "I'm a failure". Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love) says "The Yogic sages say that all the pain of a human life is caused by words, as is all the joy. We create words to define our experience and those words bring attendant emotions that jerk us around like dogs on a leash. We get seduced by our own mantras (I'm lonely... I'm a failure... I'm lonely... I'm a failure) and we become monuments to them. To stop talking for a while, then, is to attempt to strip away the power of words, to stop choking ourselves with words, to liberate ourselves from our suffocating mantras." But on the flipside to these words we repeat over and over to ourselves, there are all too often words we DON'T allocate to us. Words like STRONG or LOVED or ENOUGH. The girls over at Superhero Journal have just attended a fabulous weekend where they had these words literally written (painted) all over their body. Take a look! Let me just say, oh my god. This is so beautiful and empowering and amazing.

(Image from Jen @ Superhero Journals)

Tell me, what words would YOU write on your body? What are the words you perhaps don't believe, but are the mantras you need to hear?

Namaste, stella xxx

1 comment:

Nadine Fawell said...

Oh,Stel,

Thanks so much for posting this!
I needed this post, and I need to remember my good mantras:
I am lovable
I am loved
I am safe
Everything is OK
Everything is just as it should be

It's been a little hard this last week.

So, thank you, for having this here for me to rad just when I needed it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...