Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Yoga Practice without Inversions...

is like lemonade without lemons. A yoga practice without inversions is like a marriage without a spouse, lemonade without lemons, or a body without a heart—the essence is missing. Inversions set yoga apart from other physical disciplines: Psychologically, they allow us to see things from an alternate perspective. Emotionally, they guide the energy of the pelvis (the energy of creation and personal power) toward the heart center, enabling self-exploration and inner growth. Physically, they stimulate the immune and endocrine systems, thereby invigorating and nourishing the brain and the organs. When done correctly, inversions also release tension in the neck and the spine. Read all about inversions here, and over here, as well as here, here and here. What are YOUR thoughts on inversions? Have you practiced them: if not - why not? If so, what's your experience been? PS - EXCITING news.. new winter yoga workshop to be announced shortly, all about (of course) INVERSIONS. Put 1pm on Saturday July 18th in your diaries, for a 2.5 hour workshop. Details coming asap x

3 comments:

thewindhover said...

I love inversions - espeically shoulderstands... I'd like to learn more about about them (and do them more often) so thank you for those links! And I cannot wait for the Winter workshop; you know I'll be there with bells on.

Mandy said...

I love inversions! I had the wonderful idea to do a whole workshop of inversions at a studio here in my new town and the owner said "We're just not really "up" on inversions. I thought, well then it would be perfect timing for a workshop! Love the blog!
Mandy

Anne-Marie said...

I have been practising yoga for less than a year, and the only inversion I practise regularly in my home practice is halasana. I am just not confident yet of my own ability to practise inversions safely. But when we do them in class I love them - especially salamba sarvangasana.

Oh - I also do viparita karani. Is that an inversion? One of my favourites!

Great blog :-)

Rangimarie [peace],
Anne-Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...