Sunday, February 22, 2009

3 day detox

Whilst on my yoga training bootcamp I was so shocked to see how little food I subsisted on. I wasn't starving myself by any means - we had the most delicious gluten, dairy, wheat and meat free food throughout the week - but we did so much physical work that I'm looking back in awe that I wasn't ravenous constantly. It's amazingly wonderful how your body can find it's rhythm when you are feeding it wholley and well. For breakfast I'd have a piece of fruit and a bowl of hot porridge with a little muesli sprinkled on top, plus a cup of peppermint tea. After some marathon yoga sessions we would have lunch, which was generally a bowl of gorgeous wholesome vegie soup followed by salads and seeds and vegies of all descriptions. Dinner was normally around 11pm and would be similar to lunch. There was no snacking in between those meals - perhaps we'd have a piece of fruit early afternoon, if that. But the gold thing - I was not hungry. I was so satiated! On my return home I was meeting a friend for lunch the following day and I was dreaming of ordering a hot bowl of porridge, for lunch!! hahaa! I could not believe it! The latest issue of Yoga Journal includes a 3 day detox - and I quite like it. It's not a horrible take this out and eat only green grass kind of detox. Instead you can really decide what 3 things you eliminate for 3 days (ie. wheat, sugar, alcohol.. whatever!) Some of the recipes are also really tasty looking! Perhaps you'd be interested? Me, I'm heading off for my grocery shop and am looking forward to pulling out my moosewood cookbooks again. Namaste x

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Something interesting I've noticed in myself is, if I'm busy (ie, a yoga wkshp) then I'm not hungry. But if I'm sitting at my desk at work, and 9:30-10:00 rolls around, then suddenly the mind seems to go, Hmmm...you are hungry, and the tummy growls in return and that cup of nuts is starting to look really good and the next thing I know is I've eaten my nuts and my dried fruit cup and my banana...all before noon. Darn samskaras.

Anyway, I totally agree with the Yoga Journal article this month! Some great recipes and it's not a "Thou Can't Eat Anything" detox.

PS - Just made the Moosewood quiche last week for breakfasts. Yum.

Pink Heels said...

Not sure if you have Whole Foods in Australia but you may want to check out their web site. They also have a lot of really great recipes. Yummy!

shinyyoga said...

oh kristin I COMPLETELY hear you about the food thing, I just couldn't believe how hungry I wasn't when we were busy at retreat.. but sitting at my work desk? Load me up! haha

Hmmm Pink Heels, I'm not familiar with Whole Foods - but I'm off to check out that website! THANKS xx

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your help!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...