Sunday, December 23, 2007

Merry Holidays to you all...

In my teacher training a few years back, my teacher shared with us a story about how another teacher she knew, who was a smoker. She told us about the struggle this teacher would have - espousing all healthiness and light and love to her students on the mat, but then she'd leave class and light up a cigarette and feel completely torn.

It brings up the question, how 'yogi' is 'yogi'? And truth be told, it's something I struggle with a lot - and I'm sure a lot of you do too. Case in point, I am currently on my first holiday in 2 years. Yes - 2 years! So of course I've got the flu as I'm run down, my depression has flared up as I've not been giving myself enough time and love, and I've had lots of injuries over the last 2 months. But I'm always sharing stories of rest and listening to your bodies when I'm leading a yoga class. So now - I'm a wee bit torn.

But I'm turning a new leaf and in the new year, my mantra is from the lovely and ever-inspiring Pema Chodron and it is to : Start Where You Are.

You can get bogged down in wishing your life was this way or another. You can look back at the end of the year and beat yourself up because your resolutions didn't occur. Or you can start where you are - take lessons from what you know, realise you did what you could, and dust off your battered heart, give it some love and begin again.
Here's hoping you all have a glorious holiday and feel excited to start where you are - right now! Thanks for another fantastic year of classes and lessons and please know that you have proven to me time and time again, that you are all my teachers, just as much as I am yours.

Take care and see you on the flipside xxx
stella

1 comment:

Nadine Fawell said...

Hey Stella!

Dang, that is a cool Santa pic!

What searing honesty. I ran into a woman on the high street the other day. She told me she loves my blog because it reminds her that we are all just people, even yoga teachers.

And Desikachar always says that yoga teachers have problems just like everyone else: we suffer, get ill, have relationship troubles. This is what qualifies us to teach, because pain is a teacher, just as injury is in our practice (OK, now I am paraphrasing a bit!) But you get the idea!

May this year be filled with light and love!

Nadine

PS may I post an excerpt of this on my blog?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...