Sunday, November 18, 2007

And she's UP!

Handstand: Adho Mukha Vrksasana
(ah-doh moo-kah vriks-SHAHS-anna)
adho mukha = facedownward
(adho = downward; mukha = face)
vrksa = tree
This morning I did my first freestanding handstand ie. not against the wall. YIPPEE! I love doing inversions but unfortunately don't get to do them all that often, and can't teach them in my classes (club policy) which is a shame. But today I had a beautiful and encouraging teacher (thanks Melissa!) who assisted me move from scissor-kicking up into Handstand, to bunny-hopping up (ie. legs together - not jumping one at a time) firstly against the wall - and then in the middle of the room!

Once in the middle of the room she assisted me bunny-hop up (much harder and more focussed on the abs!) and then when I was straight up, she moved her hands OFF my legs and TA DA!!! I was standing up in Handstand ON MY OWN! IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM!

When she let me know she wasn't holding on (mind you, she was standing close!) I got so excited I let out a wee yelp, and then had to come down and jump up & down as I was so happy! : )

So dear friends, if it's taken me this many years to finally come up into a freestanding headstand, there is hope for all of you too - nothing is impossible! I encourage you to flip your world upside down and practice some more inversions this week, and if you're in a class with me -> be prepared to practice them!

Benefits of Adho Mukha Vrksasana*:
Strengthens the shoulders, arms, and wrists
Stretches the belly
Improves sense of balance
Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression

Anatomical Focus*:
Brain
Pituitary
Arms
Shoulders
Legs
Spine
Lungs
Wrists

* Source: Yoga Journal

x stella
3~

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...