Monday, August 07, 2006

Soundtrack to the day

I had a great weekend working in the record store, as I uncovered some new tunes to play in my yoga classes! I’m always on the hunt for some great soundtracks for my classes, and having a music industry background, I like to traverse into some more modern territory every now and then. Lately I’ve been playing lots of Jose Gonzales (the album Veneer), which is fantastic. Very inspiring and low key -> so it doesn’t interrupt the flow of the class but it’s a beautiful background piece. Key track: ‘Heartbeats’ whilst in savasana : ) The Accidental Yogist mentioned some of her favourite yoga-inspired artists and I was nodding in agreement; I own many of the albums she mentioned! Wah!’s Jai Jai Jai is a beautiful and energetic release, At Ease (via Om Yoga) is a great compilation that I am needing to change soon as everyone will be knowing the tunes off by heart! I can’t get enough of Donna de Lory – I’ve been lucky enough to come across her early in my yoga practice and she’s been a constant soundtrack! But back to the record store – I finally got a hold of the wonderful Krishna Das All One album , and gave it its debut during my Sunday afternoon class at Pyrmont Health Club. I also got a Ravi Shankar double cd release, and some soundtracks: The Big Blue and Baraka. Both of these films are sweeping and beautiful so I’m looking forward to putting the cd’s on this evening! Thievery Corporation is also amongst the new cd’s so we’ll have some chilled out vibes being created very soon! Back at home I also rediscovered some other great tunes from my personal collection, while on the hunt for music to accompany my upcoming Spring Rejuvination yoga workshop on 3rd September. Radiohead, Air, Lemon Jelly.. some oldies but goodies that I can’t wait to play in class. Yeah Dave Yoga in LA is also a fan of music in classes – if you get a moment, see this wonderful site and check out his playlists. What is the soundtrack to your day today? Namaste, 3~

3 comments:

RIchard said...

There is an old Brian Eno album from like 1974 that is so wonderful it makes my head ache. My 22 year old son turned me on to it. But its name escapes me but it has a track called "burning airlines give you so much more" but the last track on the CD would absolutely be fantastic to do a series to.

joni said...

i've never heard of jose gonzalez, but since we seem to have the same taste in music, i'll see if i can track down some of his music samples...

thanks for the tip! and thanks for the mention :)

joni said...

talk about coincidences! NPR just featured the music of jose gonzalez a few days ago. here's a link to that broadcast:

www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5630799

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...