Monday, June 05, 2006

Yoga Tour hits Bondi!

Rasa: “subtle energy of richness, sweetness, and delight”; “juice, flavour”

This Sunday I took my tour buddy Narelle on the road with me and we wandered over to Bondi for a Dynamic Hatha class at Rasa Yoga. Leg #3 of the Yoga Tour was just what we needed – I was feeling a little stuffy with a cold hovering around, and Narelle had enjoyed a few cheeky wines the night before…. We were both looking forward to a relaxing class to open the body up! Indeed, that’s what we got! Situated above Macro Wholefoods, Rasa is a wooden floored, twinkling lit oasis – the walls are plain and white in contrast to the warm dark wooden floor, the windows along the wall really allowed the sunshine to drape over us as we moved through the asana, and Jacasta’s soothing voice was the icing on the cake!

I know Jacasta from her Newtown teaching days and it is so great to see her with her own beautiful studio that really mirrors her style. Even though it was quite chilly outside (scarf weather!), once you stepped inside, you were just enveloped in this cosy space. As I visit more and more studios I know just how important setting the ‘space’ up can be. I teach in gyms as well as studios, as well as office boardrooms, and it’s the little things that count. Candles or lights… splashes of colour… oils or incense…. music and temperature. All of these things, plus the atmosphere in the space, really can make or break a yoga class – and on this count, Rasa rates a 10 out of 10 oms! The class was intimate in size, Jacasta has a wealth of knowledge and a very settling manner, and this was just what I needed to start my Sunday off relaxed and open. Well worth getting out of bed for : )

2 comments:

richard said...

I have often wondered what makes a space great as a yoga studio or shala or whatever I'm supposed to call them. I think its a sense of safeness, adventure and sacred somehow communicated through the design of the room. Light is critical too. Dark yoga spaces are a bummer. But of course a great yoga teacher can create wonderful practice space anyplace and no yoga space can save a subpar teacher. If you get both, well then you better rent an apartment nearby!!

yogabondi said...

nothing beats outdoors yoga on a beautiful day, whales and dolphins cruising by, natual enerfy, fresh air...
www.yogabythesea.com.au
Bondi & Tamarama

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...